Europa-List: Twisted tail section, maybe??????????

Subject: Europa-List: Twisted tail section, maybe??????????
From: Erich Trombley <erichdtrombley@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 17:11:06

Tony,

If you check the archives you will see several post I have made over the years
addressing this issue.  In a nut shell I would recommend bonding in the rear
bulkhead
with the top securely fastened with clecos or skin pins.  You will find
that with the top securely fastened the twist is removed from the lower fuselage
half.

Regards,

Erich Trombley
A028
90+ hours and having fun flying

From: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw@optusnet.com.au>

Ok,
As I may have someones attention, here is my problem. I am installing my
rear bulkhead but before I do I realise there is an issue with determining
some datums. I have determined my longitudinal axis on the floor of the
inside of the boat, and now I notice that the mid point of the 132 mm
between the leading edge of the fuse to fin union, is actually about 6 mm
to port of the floor centreline. My top fits really well currently,
although I do believe that the top tail section twists easily. So, the
question is, "do I accept the dis-orientation and if so, where do I
determine to put the centre of the bulkhead top section, or do I straighten
everything up using a jig( I build the best jigs) and then keep the centre
of the bulkhead in its more logical orientation? I think the answer is
pretty simple, but I also know that lots may have "just built on through
this stage, as per the manual" and that would end up with a small
distortion about the vertical "axis" of the tail section. It probably
doesn't make that much difference, 6 mm, but I don't know whether to chase
it out or not, or if I choose not to, whether it will result in creating
more time absorption than had I done it the other way originally. So,
whatdoyareckon???
Reg
Tony Renshaw
Sydney Australia