Re: Europa-List: ELT

Subject: Re: Europa-List: ELT
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 08:08:15

> What happens if one were to mount the antenna horizontally?
>
> Is there a need for a ground plane in a composite aircraft?
>
> I would appreciate installation tips from builders who have
 > figured this out already.

The antenna should be mounted vertically to match the orientation of a
receiver's signal.

A very good -0- cost ELT antenna which does not require a ground plane
can be made from the last 21" of the RG-58 antenna coax. Remove 21" of
insulation.  Push on the braid along its length to expand it and pull
the center conductor out from the braid at the 21" point. Bond it to the
side of the fuselage oriented vertically, except form a "V" by orienting
each leg 20-deg from vertical.  Check and or cut the length of the braid
leg to remain at 21".  The horizontal run of the coax must be horizontal
for at least 21" before taking any vertical turn:

                /
               /  21"
              /
   >= 21"     \