Europa-List: Unusual Phenomenon

Subject: Europa-List: Unusual Phenomenon
From: Kingsley Hurst <hurstkr@growzone.com.au>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 22:14:57

All,

A friend stayed with me for the last two nights and parked his 914 Europa on our
local strip.

When we arrived at the strip this morning, the aircraft was covered in dew and
he used a damp towel which he took from inside the aircraft to wipe down the
wings.

Now before wiping with the towel, we could write on the wings with our fingers
in the dew but immediately the towel was wiped across the wing, the dew turned
to frost and became quite firmly stuck to the wing surface.

Since neither of us has seen this before, thought I would just mention it in the
hope that somebody might be able to explain exactly why it did this.  We realise
the dew was super cooled water droplets but are unsure why it instantaneously
became frost when wiped with the towel but not with our fingers.??

Kingsley Hurst
Mono Classic 281