Re: Europa-List: Araldite 420 - (how much for cockpit module)

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Araldite 420 - (how much for cockpit module)
From: TELEDYNMCS@aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 11:01:42

In a message dated 5/29/2003 8:32:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Darren.Turner@utas.edu.au writes:

> Can people tell me how much they needed?

Darren,

I used closer to 1000 grams on my CM. Of course, some of it squeezes out and
ends up being wiped off, but that is better than having voids. The main thing
with bonding in the CM is have plenty of help on hand. You will need at least
two people to actually set the module, two to spread the bottom fuselage
molding sides while you set the CM in place and one to take pictures. I had 5
people helping me and it was still tight on time to get the CM completely
"buttered" and set before the Redux started curing. I had one person mixing, 4
people
buttering, and one taking pictures. I used about 150, 3/4" self tapping screws,

with 5/16"  6-point heads to hold everything in place until cured, but you
could use ratcheting straps or cleco's. Actually, I would prefer self tapping
screws over cleco's just because the clean-up is easier and I think you'd still

have to use a few screws to get a good bond even with straps. Don't worry
about all the holes, you'll fill them when you start the finish process. I would

have 2 screw guns on hand with a couple of extra charged batteries if they are

cordless. Also plenty of disposable gloves for everybody and plenty of paper
towels. Some ice cold beer and or a grill full of burgers can be effective
lures if you're having trouble gathering the necessary help. Use a drop light
with

a 100 watt bulb under the fuselage molding after you set the CM to make sure
you don't have any voids. You will be amazed at how much it stiffens up the
forward end of the fuselage molding! You'll also feel like you've really gotten

something acomplished when it's over.

Regards,

John Lawton
Dunlap, TN