Re: Europa-List: RE: Europa-List Digest: 15 Msgs - 05/21/03

Subject: Re: Europa-List: RE: Europa-List Digest: 15 Msgs - 05/21/03
From: Brian Davies <bdavies@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 11:20:23

Having started this thread, I feel slightly responsible for this rather
heated debate.  I have done the research and this is the result:-

All UK CAA equipment approvals are now carried out through the European JAA
approval system.  The CAA now has a website which contains the "AEARS
Database" which has a search engine enabling you to check the approval of
any particular bit of equipment.

The website is very difficult to find, but I eventually found it at
www.caa.co.uk/srg/airworthiness/aea/search.asp

If you type in "VHF Comm" it will give you a list of all the VHF com
manufacturers, and you can then look for a particular part number.  This
shows that the Icom AC-200 is approved under approval number LA301011.

So, the equipment is approved, therefore it must work (or, at least pass the
required safety standards).  The issue for me is that it is one of the key
systems on the aircraft and I want to be confident that I can get the
necessary technical support if I get problems with the equipment or its
installation.  In the UK there seems to be a lack of support.  Icom (UK) Ltd
website even denies the existence of the unit!

A pity, because it seems to be good value and those people that resolve the
installation issues seem very happy with it.

Brian Davies kit 454