Europa-List: 912S - starting problems

Subject: Europa-List: 912S - starting problems
From: david.corbett <david.corbett@fwi.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 19:28:56

A friend of mine, Graham Shimmin, has a Banbi  with a 912S engine based here at
Shobdon (UK).

I have watched while he and our local Rotax expert have become increasingly
frustrated
by the refusal of his engine to start, and I offered to post a message
---From him on our website in the hope that one of you out there may be able to
offer advice. Graham writes:

"I have a 912S with 120 hrs on it. The engine has become progressively more
difficult
to start, even in warm weather, and is now refusing altogether. All the
normal checks - sparks, fuel, starter speed, slipper clutch tension, etc - have
failed to find the problem, as have a new 12v 17a/h battery and new plugs.
The symptoms suggest the ignition is too far advanced as the engine tries to
fire
but kicks back violently. Has anyone out there with the S model had similar
problems, and if so what cured them, please?"

I think I should add that the UK Rotax agents, Nigel and Conrad Beale, have been
to look at this engine and have also so far failed to solve the problem. I have
also watched Graham and Adrian bypass the aircraft ignition and power the
starter to turn the engine over; in that situation it spins perfectly freely
through
the apparently normal compressions.

Any advice will be gratefully received, either on the forum - in which case I
will
forward it - or direct to Graham, whose address is above.

Many thanks,

David
G-BZAM   UK 265 (just passed its 2nd Permit renewal)