Re: Europa-List: Alleron Fitting

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Alleron Fitting
From: Rowland & Wilma Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 11:25:26

>The Top flange on the trailing edge of the wings will not let the
>aileron's  fit into the trailing edge

Alan - this is too late for you, but the way to avoid this problem
was offered to me by Neville at the factory, and I have just
yesterday doen it on my starboard wing. When applying the double
layer of BID over the front face of the aileron closeout and onto the
bottom skin (ALL the way along, NOT just at the hinges as my manual
says!), first place a piece of wood in the space where the aileron LE
will be, so that the flanges are kept at the correct spacing as the
BID reinforcement cures. I found a piece about 46mm wide worked well,
but you should check the dimensions on your own wing. Measure the
distance between the flanges at the inboard and outboard ends, where
they are attached to other parts of the structure - should be the
same both ends. I made my spacer piece the full length of the
closeout and attached some wider pieces to the back of it to stop it
slipping right into the closeout. However, I have now decided to cut
it into shorter lengths to allow using it again in between the hinge
reinforcement BID patches applied inside the closeout.

It may be that the correct way for your situation is to use a similat
spacer when attaching the top skin so that the closeout adopts the
correct shape until cured. Not sure what to do about aileron fitting,
though. ASK Neville!

regards

Rowland