Europa-List: OBAM night flying VFR

Subject: Europa-List: OBAM night flying VFR
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 15:00:57

Jeremy,
            "Just a detail point on UK flying... Night VFR is legal in the
UK - it's just that PFA Permit aircraft (like Europas) are not currently
allowed that privilege - certified types only, in other words."
            I think Duane wqas referring to Europa aircraft, so "Night VFR
is illegal in the UK in Europas.
            I'm still a bit hazy on phraseology so not sure of this, but I
don't think Air Force aircraft are 'certified'. In that case, I've spent
many a pleasant hour at night stooging around, simulating behind-the-lines
parachute delivery, both men and supplies, both lowlevel (150ft AGL) and
HiLo (high level release, low level opening) - all on one engine (PW R1340)
in an Otter. Much the finest recreational touring possible. In 8 years, not
a grumble, hiccough or glitch, except 2 generator failures - and even then,
shut off the electrics and press on till sight of drome, then empty battery
for chattering to kiwis. Bliss.
            If one has so little experience on one engine (a) then overwater
flight must be a terror, and (b) try maintaining control on one engine of a
'light twin' - it takes you to the crashsite.
Cheers, Ferg