RE: Europa-List: resin for filling

Subject: RE: Europa-List: resin for filling
From: Cripps David <david.cripps@spsystems.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 08:58:01

>>>I added silica
carbide to the Expandcell in a one to four ratio.

I assume you mean fumed (or colloidal) silica which is used for thickening a
resin
mix to give a creamy, non-sag consistency? Silic(on) carbide is used as a
filler to make ultra-hard wearing surfaces which would virtually need an angle
grinder to sand down!! It is also extremely high density!

Also when using silica don't use any more than you need to get the non-sag
properties
you want. Excess silica does make the final filler mix a bit harder to
sand and a bit more brittle.

As a manufacturer of epoxy resins (including the Ampreg 20 used in the UK kits),
we would suggest that there are alternative resins for filling and fairing to
Ampreg 20 which is primarily a structural laminating resin (hence its use in
the spar and the bits people fabricate themselves). Many people do use it for
filling to keep things simple and have one resin in the workshop, but products
such as SP106 (the UK equivalent to West System) are easier to sand as they
have lower structural properties (eg tensile/compressive strength and modulus)
and are a bit softer when cured. Both West and SP106 were originally designed
for bonding, filling and coating of wooden boats and so are also more tolerant
of lower cure temperatures and less than ideal (ie leaky boatyard!) conditions.
They are also a bit cheaper than Ampreg 20.

We have produced a guide to filler types and a suggested mixing table which can
be found as pdf's at:

http://www.spsystems.com/prod-ancill.htm

There is also a guide on to how to fill and fair boats (which is all very
similar
to aircraft). See the menu of application guides at the bottom of the following
page:

http://www.spsystems.com/techinfo.htm

and scroll down to 'Filling and Fairing'.

Hope this helps someone.

David
Europa Classic Trigear - GBWJH