Europa-List: Fuel Tubing Choice

Subject: Europa-List: Fuel Tubing Choice
From: MJKTuck@cs.com
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 21:40:44

Hi folks,

I am taking the opportunity to change the fuel sight gauge to a new piece of
tubing (polyurethane tubing 0.25 ID) which will run up the passenger side
seat back and found today when I put fuel back in the tank that I had a small
leak which was soaking the cloth covering on the short piece of black rubber
tubing from the tank to the 'tee-piece' and also from the tee to the fuel
drain (again black cotton covered tubing).

I thought it might be the new piece of tube somehow not sealing correctly but
after more investigation determined that the black cotton covered tubing -
which has to be bent through 90 deg - and which had been joggled around a bit
while I was installing the new piece - was cracked and weeping fuel.

I took it off and dissected it and sure enough although the inside looked
smooth, when you bend it, it shows lots of tiny crack/pin holes.

I will have to replace it. I thought I might use the Aircraft Spuce supplied
Polyurethane tubing which they say is unaffected by fuel and has good
abrasion and tear resistance (it's tough stuff to cut and kind of rubbery to
the touch), or should I go for the Bing Alcohol Resistant Fuel Line which
features 'excellent resistance to gasoline, oil, etc.?'.

I couldn't find the black cotton covered type in the Aircraft Spruce book but
I am not overly impressed by it anyway.

Any comments on my choice would be welcomed.

Regards,
Martin Tuck
N152MT
Wichita, Kansas