Re: Europa-List: Re: Harnesses again

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Harnesses again
From: Alexander P. de C. Kaarsberg <kaarsber@terra.com.br>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 09:58:58

>In what configuration was the honeycomb used? Parallel or perpendicular to
>the cells? And presumably the aluminium variety?

I have never seen the exact details of the arrangement but I imagine it
as follows, the leg being formed in the shape of a long cylinder with a
piston acting on the honeycomb, it's hollows arranged vertically. On
impact the honeycomb crushes absorbing the energy.
For our purpose some testing would have to be done to find the right
material and dimensions but I doubt the possibility of reaching 16G
protection with the little space available- a few inches at most, but a
little is better than nothing.

Alex, kit 529.