Re: Europa-List: Shielding unshielded wires

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Shielding unshielded wires
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 10:32:42

> Whenever I transmit my tacho goes off the scale - obviously an RF issue - it

> goes back again when I stop transmitting. I thought about replacing the wires

> to the tacho with shielded wires but thought why not simply wrap aluminum
> foil/tape around them. I probably wouldn't earth the tape.
>
> Do you think this would do anything to help?

 From my fiddling with this stuff using a handheld comm, there seems no
rules for these problems.  It depends upon the nature of the circuit
affected, length of wiring involved vs. frequency, and even its
orientation (polarization).

I think not grounding the foil is least likely a fix and would start by
grounding at the engine end before other permutations.  A shielded
twisted pair may also work better.  It also may not be the signal wire
at all.  So other approaches are a small capacitor (say .1uf) across
ground and and 14V at the instrument.  Try running the ground wire to a
different place; try making 14V and ground a twisted pair.

Regards,
Fred F.