Re: Europa-List: Aileron Length

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Aileron Length
From: TELEDYNMCS@aol.com
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 10:52:34

Duane,

One of my ailerons, pre-skinned from the factory, was 5/8" longer than the
other one and wouldn't fit the corresponding wing. Comparing it to the wing
by holding one end in place, then the other, using the width of the aileron
as compared to the wing tip, it appeared the fabricator let the inboard side
run a little long. Before I did the closeout I took my Dremel (can you build
a Europa without one?) and the routing plate attachment, set the correct
depth for what I wanted to cut off, and routed out the foam. I use a 1/4"
cylidrical metal deburring bit. It works wonders on foam and the foam comes
out nice and flat. Once the foam was taken out to the correct depth, all of
about 45 seconds with the Dremel, I cut the aileron off to the proper length
using a band saw, being careful to maintain the proper angle relative to the
wing, then glassed the closeout as normal. Use the finest blade you can get
on the band saw (26 tpi is what I used) and don't expect more than about 10
cuts out of each blade. Fiberglass is tough on blades and I hear carbon fiber
is worse.

Regards,

John Lawton
Dunlap, TN