Re: Dust protection prior to painting

Subject: Re: Dust protection prior to painting
From: Gerry Holland <gnh@ddsc.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 08:46:09
Paul Hi!
> I am at the stage where I can actually pronounce a wing, flap and
> aileron ready for its final coat of paint.  I was going to cover them
> with plastic and store it away until I was ready to send them out for
> painting but I have been advised that the plastic will outgas and lay
> a deposit on the surface and cause a problem with paint adhesion.  Any
> suggestions from others on what is the best thing to do in terms of
> protection and storage ?

My experience is only pertitent directly if you have used Polyfiber
>Finishing Products.

Having had problems a while back when the control surfaces were
recalled by Tony Young at Aircraft Coverings, Henstridge. They had been
filled with Superfil and then primed and separately UV protected. The
recall was due to flaking etc. due to 'osmosis'. S0....

I was advised when they had been reworked with new combined UV Primer
to ensure they were stored in conditions that broadly met the following:

Temperature: 60F (15C)
Humidity: at 60% or less

As the West of England weather like Manchester or Derbyshire tends to
enjoy moisture in the form of plentiful rainfall and I've designed the
Workshop to always maintain these conditions at worst.

My Wings and Fuselage are still in near to final Primer coat and have
been that way for several months awaiting final painting in Feb/March.
The advantage of leaving in Primer is that the inevitable 'dings' that
will take place whilst 'set up' and early conditions of rigging and
adjustment take place can be easily fixed as I have found several
times. Unfortunately or Fortunately all my Flying Surfaces are
finished. I say unfortunate as both Rudder and Tail-plane have some
surface damage due to my clumsiness. All very fixable but it does spoil
your day a little when it happens. Bit like the first 'ding' on a new
Car, especially if done by Wife, Girlfriend or even worse, Kids!

If your Workshop conditions are transient. i.e. 'conditioned' only when
you want to work in there then it might be worth buying a big bunch of
Flowers and asking for permission to store inside the House somewhere.
The Bedroom would be too distressing.......
In my house the ambient temperature and humidity can be likened to a
beach in early Florida sun. 70+ at all times so conditions are ideal!

Not sure I've made much sense but it is 8.30am GMT on the first morning
of 2003!

Happy New Year to all! Maybe this is the year G-FIZY at last flies!!

Gerry Holland
+44 7808 402404
Europa XS 384
G-FIZY

The greatest enjoyment from existence is living dangerously....
Friedrich Nietzsche

Gerry Holland
gholland@gemini-resourcing.com
+44 7808 402404

Gemini Resourcing Limited
Hartham Park, Corsham, Wilts. SN13 0RP - UK
+44 1249 700630
+44 1249 700631 (Fax)

Website - http://www.gemini-resourcing.com

DISCLAIMER: This message may contain privileged and confidential
information.
If you think for any reason this message has been addressed in error
you must
not copy or disseminate it and we would ask you to notify us
immediately by
return email to info@gemini-resourcing.com. Internet emails are not
necessarily
secure. Gemini Resourcing Limited is registered in England  with its
address at:
Hartham Park, Corsham, Wilts. SN13 0RP, England.