Re: Tailfin Naca Vent

Subject: Re: Tailfin Naca Vent
From: James Nelson <europajim@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 19:52:59
Mike,
        I put a 1-1/2" x 5" vent between the cowling rebate and the
windshield just in front of the pilot.  It is hinged at the rebate and
falls inward down toward the panel at the back side.   It is controlled
by a push pull device that sets the opening size.  Here in Florida is
gets hot like Calif. and I can say it works nice.  I also put in a
reverse NACA vent in the top just behind the rear bulkhead.  It also has
a controlled vent cover to shut out the air going out if needed.   You
must provide air out along with air in.  The doors want to bend outward
dur to the aerodynamics at that point.  By controling air out you help
keep the doors in place. Something to think about.  I also put in a Van's
NACA duct in the cowl and brought it in on the co-pilots side through an
eye ball vent I fab'd  on the lower right corner of the instrument panel.
This is in addition to the knee coolers that everyone puts on.  Just
place them rearward and upward as you can.  Keep them beyond the knee and
theigh. .  Sit in the a/c and locate the vents that way.

              Jim

              N15JN