That rough running Subaru

Subject: That rough running Subaru
From: Kevin Taylor <kevin@eastyorkshire.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 21:15:06
Folks,

Just an update on my rough running Subaru, please feel free to throw ideas
at me if you have any.

I spent the day messing around and didn't really get too far, let me tell
you the symptoms and feel free to throw in any ideas, although I realise
most of you have Rotax.

Its intermittent rough running at low rpm tick over-3000 rpm, resulting in
bad running?/vibration?/misfiring? (Engine cuts if I pull throttle back to
idle)

I drained and cleaned out the tank as the carb had what appears to be water
and crap in!

The voltmeter is odd and is reading 14-15 volts!? (If I take out the fuse
for the alt charge it drops down to 12.5 ish where it should be)

Leaning and carb heat appears to assist in easing the problem but doesn't
cure it.

Have checked the Diaphragm in the carb and it appears to be operating OK.

Not sure where to start really.

1.        Could junk in the carb but I have flushed it through now a good few
times?
2.        Could be ignition problem?
3.        Could be a mixture problem
4.        On the way home had an awful thought that the head gasket might have
gone, water blowing back in to carb? I need to check the water level and oil
I guess to confirm this is not the case.

For info last set of plugs were blacker than normal, Oil change appeared to
be OK, fitted new plugs and just had a though tonight I should check the
gaps to make sure they were set right, although this problem was apparent on
the last set of plugs.

Maybe I have 2 problems? I've just had the panel out and something could be
wrong there? giving the discrepancy in voltage.

As I'm sure you have gathered from my description I'm not an engine man and
am trying to ascertain the potential problem before deciding on my next
steps to call in some reinforcements.

Regards

Kev T