Antennas, antennae, aerials

Subject: Antennas, antennae, aerials
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 11:52:53
Cheers,
            The following caught my eye:
"(If possible, it is instructive to borrow a VSWR meter from a ham radio
enthusiast and check antenna performance with a hand held radio."
             It's true a VSWR meter will measure the returned enrgy froma
faultily proportioned antenna, so I don't mean to correct the statement.
However, many hams have become somewhat more sophisticated and have Antenna
Analyzers which measure the various qualities of the antenna or system
without having to transmit into them. However, these are most sensitive and
usually require the owner to do the measuring. I have one for our club, and
nearly everyone is happy to hang by and see the advantages of this device.
If you can find a dedicated ham it's almost certian his curiosity will
attract him to measuring an aircraft system for you. The local radio club
will find such a person.
Ferg A064

" I did this with my Bob Archer antennas and discovered a shortcoming on the
COM which turned out to be a manufacturing defect. Bob has corrected this.)"