Re: Garmin GNS 430 - aerials

Subject: Re: Garmin GNS 430 - aerials
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 14:21:29
>A dipole for the xponder wastes a theoretical one half of the power
>radiating above the aircraft, meaning that a 1/4 wave antenna will
>have more gain in the desired direction.

Fred
I'm not a radio ham or xpurt but my understanding is that the dipole is
better than the 1/4 wave because its radiation pattern is more like a
horizontal doughnut, whereas the 1/4 wave is more or less a hemisphere. THe
1/2 wave dipole puts more of the energy out horizontally.
I've used a Bob Archer dipole, neat printed circuit board with the antenna
etched onto it, and it worked well from inside the fuselage.
Someone correct me if that is not correct?
Graham