Re: Re - Poly Fiber Top Gloss

Subject: Re: Re - Poly Fiber Top Gloss
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 10:16:21
> The amazing thing to me about all of this, as I press ahead with the smooth
> prime...... If I spill it, I can never get it off! It is only when you don't
> want it to come off that it will do so.
>
> I now plan to fly the airplane with 100% primer and deal with the finish coat
> later -- probably doing some test painting during the initial flight tests.
> This is getting way too complicated!
>
> Dave
> A227
> mini U2

Like also if you have a spray gun with a mirrored external surface,
dribbles of paint may require chemical stripping to remove!

If flying with primer, I think one needs a plan to deal with all
manner of contaminants that can bore deep into the primer, with no way
to know how much needs to be sanded before topcoating.  A few fisheyes
can ruin an entire wing.  I don't know what the best plan is, but
maybe a thin film of a compatible something to seal it up.  Will have
to sand anyway.  I have experienced fisheyes and mottling where you
sand down further into the primer, recoat, and they reappear!

Regards,
Fred F.