Re: Rocky mountains micro encoder

Subject: Re: Rocky mountains micro encoder
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 10:43:28
> Hi Folks,
>               those with the micro encoder i believe can have the gear not
> down warning ...is this the case? I'm not sure but i think it can be
> programmed to bleep at a set low speed when the gear is not down.

The circuit in my version of the manual shows a microswitch open for
gear down, implying a normally-closed switch. If I may suggest, as
long as one is going to the trouble of add-on circuitry, the circuit
is better designed so that the switch closes only when the gear is
down _and_ locked.  Mechanical setups with these tiny switches can be
long-term problematic.  Meaning for one, add a defeat switch just in
case gear is down but horn says otherwise.

I don't have the monowheel, but maybe it's possible that a UV LED and
detector, with a very narrow beam, might be a better idea vs. the
vagaries of mechanical alignment of hair-trigger switches.  Looks like
just adding also a logic gate or two to the input of the chip they
specify for it. Or start from scratch, as I can't see why that chip
has particular advantage other than (cheap) component count. If
someone is inclined to so fiddle, successful results can be posted to
the modifications site?

All the uEncoder manuals were on their web site for download, and
likely still are.

Regards,
Fred F.