Re: Digital tachos (was Re: Temperature Gauges)

Subject: Re: Digital tachos (was Re: Temperature Gauges)
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 18:57:11
                <3D824B4A.6FC6779@ameritech.net>
<20020918.202805.846943782.markb@ordern.com>

> It is possible to construct a digital tacho that has better than 50
> RPM resolution and an update time of no more than 0.25 second using
> about 20 quids (30 euros/dollars) worth of components.

If that's using a crystal oscillator for accuracy, gated by the pulses
---From the engine, I'd be curious off-list as to what off-shelf chips
and all other things comes to $30 OEM.  Even so, that's at least $100
at retail.

But you now made me look inside my $150 Taskem tachometer, but they've
sanded off the markings on all chips, and the big 40-pin, ref the
various display options, is either custom or uncommon.  Well made, got
crystal, and they say .04% accuracy at RPM of interest.  Hope so.

Best,
Fred F.