Re: Steering/finger Brakes

Subject: Re: Steering/finger Brakes
From: Cripps David <david.cripps@spsystems.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 08:56:34
The actual movement at the top of the levers is quite small to put the brakes
hard
on - about 1" at most I would guess.  However this is only the case when you
have a well-bled brake system. (I have found it quite a challenge to achieve
this although I think I've got the technique now!). In the process of trying
to get the brakes bled recently I had one brake line with a bit of air in it
and this, of course, made it feel spongey and the lever moved about 3" at the
top. Although having a differential movement from one lever to the other was not
good for ease of steering straight, the lever that moved more (the one with
the air in the line) actually felt rather nice to handle, having a bit of a
'spring'
to its movement, and a more progressive braking action as you pulled the
lever. It was quite different to the rather 'hard' and more direct feel of
the fully bled one. If there was a way to have a fully-bled system that also had
this slight 'spring' to it, then I think it would be the nicest of all to
handle.
Maybe this is not possible with hydraulics?

I have flown a Sky Arrow in the past which had finger brakes and these were very
nice to handle indeed - with  just the right of movement and spring to them.

Incidentally, the brakes are held on for parking by a pair of small toothed cams
just ahead of the levers which are manually twisted into place. Harry Luck and
Matthew Russell created it for me and it works well.

Perhaps there are others who have optimised this twin finger brake system to
create
the perfect feel and action?

David