Re: Gates fuel lines

Subject: Re: Gates fuel lines
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 21:43:46
ScramIt@aol.com wrote:

> Hi All,
> John at Europa recommended using Gates MPI fuel line. The numbers on the
> lines are 6.3 mm GL-12-178A. Anyone known where to get this hose from?
> SteveD
> A217

"6.3 mm" sure sounds like 1/4", presumably ID?  Has Europa backed down
---From 5/16"  I've tested flow rates, gravity and with the pumps, and
there's plenty, but ain't bigger better?

BTW, the flow rate on one of the 914 pumps is enormous.  Aux pump on
for takeoff is insurance only.  And...the difference in unusable fuel
vs. aircraft attitude is well, a lot.  If you're ever running on the
reserve fuel in an emergency, and have to go around in a landing,
either nose low or reach for the prayer beads!  In fact similar main
side, meaning there's about 3 gallons total of unusable fuel in a high
nose-up attitude.  If ever in a minimum fuel situation, it would
appear to be wise to run the main down as low you dare, to stretch
potentially limited usability of the reserve.  And prior thereto,
verifying fuel flow on the reserve side by temporarily switching.

Best,
Fred F.