Re: Fuel Pumps

Subject: Re: Fuel Pumps
From: europabuilder@ntlworld.com
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 09:49:03

> Anyone know the answer to this.
>
> I was under the impression that my Subaru needed the primary fuel pump to
> deliver the fuel to the engine. The other day I switched of both the
> secondary and primary pump (on the ground!)and the engine kept running
even
> at half throttle for ages. In the end I gave up and came to the conclusion
> it maybe does have a engine driven pump. Confused now as the previous
owner
> suggested that if I switched the fuel pump off in error I would have a
very
> quiet engine?
>
> Regards
>
> Kevin

Hi Kevin,

This sounds very strange.  I know for a fact that mine doesn't have an
engine driven pump.

Follow the fuel pipe from the injector on the engine and see where it lead.

How are your pumps wired, are thet straight through the pump switch or
through a relay?  If through a relay, maybe the contacts got stuck.

It might be worth you wiring an indicator lamp or LED from the connections
on the pump straight back to your panel so you can see if power is getting
to the pump.

Cheers,
Mark.

Mark Jackson - +44 (0)7050 645590