Re: 914 Hot Start problem

Subject: Re: 914 Hot Start problem
From: KarkelB@aol.com
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 14:48:19
Folks,
          i believe this is a problem that affects all 914s. I remember
seeing the demonstrator suffer heat sock while doing demo's at wombleton.
This was simply cured by opening up the oil and water flap covers on the
cowling for a few minutes to let out heat.
Talking to the guys at rotax in austria they recommend having hot air exits
on top of the cowling as the silicon chips in the electronic ignition module
and the TCU are affected when the temp goes above a certain temp( can't
remember) i believe 75 degrees C. Rotax gave an example of the  heat vent on
the Ikarus microlight.
An absence of  a hot air vent is bound to cause heat sock. I believe that
explains why the engine starts up again when the oil and water flaps on the
top cowling are opened to allow  for the escape of trapped heat after engine
shutdown.
Those of you who have seen the new  german Ikarus microlight might have
noticed the hot air vent (small circular slotted cover on the top cowling).
Its looks neat. Thinking about doing the same on the water flap cover on the
top cowling. I don't believe rain water would go in as i don't intend to fly
or leave it in rain.

   Karim.