Anonymous Reporting

Subject: Anonymous Reporting
From: Nigel Charles <72016.3721@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 13:20:18
The following was sent to me for anonymous publication:

> I was less than half way down my take off run on a grass strip when the
undercarriage retracted after
hitting a particularly large bump. I know for certain that the latch was
engaged prior to commencing my take off run. The week before I had carried
out the checks detailed in FSB-004, and had replaced all four bushes to the
shock absorber which were showing signs of wear. The mechanism was
completely up to scratch and the only reason that I can think for the
uncommanded retraction can have been that the latch jumped up and that a
further bump unlocked the over-centre of the undercarriage. The build
manual
says that the latch should drop freely under gravity. Originally mine took
some encouragement but with use it had become extremely free, and of course
what goes down also comes up!
Fortunately the damage was almost completely limited to the prop and the
transponder aerial. Whilst waiting for a replacement prop I have fitted a
spring of the type found in a lock to the undercarriage lever, which
positively holds the latch down unless lifted manually. I have also mounted
the transponder aerial inside the fuselage.
Perhaps my hindsight could prevent someone else having the same unpleasant
experience?<

I am considering setting up a club mod to include a spring with the latch
but such a simple mod might be something the factory could take on. On a
related subject Jim Naylor is developing a Europa Club Mod to give a
warning if the aircraft is flown at low speed with the gear not locked
down. I will put a message on the forum when it is available.

Nigel Charles