Incident on take-off

Subject: Incident on take-off
From: Nigel Charles <72016.3721@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 15:59:30

My experience on Europa is limited (50hours). My only scare so far has been
on take-off on grass. This was caused by the aircraft being launched into
the air by an undulation in the runway at about 40kts. As I did not get the
stick forward quickly enough the aircraft lifted out of ground effect
(about 15ft) without accelerating . The port wing dropped slightly and was
on the verge of stall. Fortunately I had the presence of mind to lower the
nose so that I regained the benefits of ground effect whilst accelerating
and gently lifting the wing using rudder. Once 50kts was achieved I gently
re-established the climb away.

Two observations:

1. I was unlucky to hit an undulation at what turns out to be a critical
speed band. Any slower the aircraft would have not managed to lift out of
ground effect and would have kissed the ground again before climbing away
normally. Any faster the aircraft would have had enough energy to climb
away. I suspect this speed range may have a bandwidth of no more than 5kts.
Time of vulnerability is greater on the lower powered/non VP prop Europas
especially at MTOW.

2. Although full aft stick is recommended for the initial part of the
take-off run (particularly in crosswind conditions) gently easing forward
once the ailerons become effective reduce the risk of being launched into
the air prematurely and minimises pitch control changes should the aircraft
become airborne before 50kts. The timing of this may be important if
carrying out a take-off in strong crosswinds on grass. If the position of
the undulation is known, the start of the take-off run can be altered
(provided the distance available is not limiting) to ensure the undulation
is not encountered at the critical speed band.

The above emphasises the monowheel Europa is not an aeroplane for the
novice. However like other incidents the situation could have been avoided
if the correct techniques had been applied religiously (I was only just
unloading the backpressure on the stick as the aircraft got airborne). Also
having learned from this I will be more prepared in future when carrying
out take-offs on grass. If prematurely launched into the air unload the
wing immediately but don't allow the pitch attitude to drop low enough to
cause prop strike.

Whilst this is an incident with particular relevence to the monowheel I
hope I might encourage others to pass on what they have learnt from their
'I learnt about flying from that' events. Should anyone wish to pass on
information anonymously they can either send the information by post
(unsigned) to  myself or Mike Gregory (Europa Club Flight Safety Rep) or
send either of us an e-mail and we will promise not to reveal the source.
Having recently paid 1500 to renew my insurance, any measures that help
reduce claims (and maybe save lives) has got to be worth while. So get
writing and pass on what you have learnt.

Nigel Charles

Badgers Cottage
Etchilhampton
Devizes