Re: tie down points?

Subject: Re: tie down points?
From: David DeFord <davedeford@attbi.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 21:55:04

> Can anyone suggest good ways to tie down a Europa Classic
> mono while touring?

We copied Kim Prout's solution, and replaced the 3/16" bolts that mount
the fairings to the outrigger support brackets with 1/4"-20 bolts.  The
bolts are long enough to accommodate a lock nut, and still have enough
length remaining to thread an eye nut onto the end.  We normally install
the eye nuts only when securing the airplane, but we forgot to remove
them before returning from Arlington last month, and they didn't fall
off on the 600nm trip home.  The eye nuts came from McMaster-Carr
(www.mcmaster.com); they have metric sizes also.

Some people have expressed concern about side loads that may be applied
to the outrigger mounting structure.  We have not had any trouble, but I
don't whether it would be possible for high winds to cause damage.
Fore-and-aft loads could be eliminated by chocking the main wheel.

Dave DeFord
N135TD