Gascolator on firewall?

Subject: Gascolator on firewall?
From: Brian Rauchfuss - PCD <brauchfu@pcocd2.intel.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 14:38:09

I notice that most airplanes have their gascolator on the firewall.  Why
doesn't the Europa community do this?  It is easy to access, low, and
provides much more direct routing than to go back to the baggage bay and
then forward.

The only reasons I can think of for not doing this are: 1) This is not the
lowest spot on the airplane on the ground for a monowheel or taildragger.
I am not sure that this is important; the fuel drains access the lowest
spot in the airplane on the ground.  2) It is hot in the engine compartment,
you don't want the fuel boiling in the gascolator!  But why don't other
planes have this problem?

Brian

P.S.  Graham Singleton: I tried to email you on your fuel drain fittings,
but it appeared to bounce.