First Flight

Subject: First Flight
From: kbcarpenter@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 20:05:28
Have had first, second and third flight, each about forty-five minutes.  It is
a thrill to start down the runway and have it lift off.  Even bigger thrill to
have a good landing upon return.  I had been worried about the field being just
2000'.  Ended up using about 1000' to full stop.  An hours time with John Hurst
a month ago was a help having the feel of the plane.  My 914 powered Monowheel
weighs in at 840#.  It handles just like the demo plane...maybe better.
It tends to overheat on climb-out.  The engine is new and I will just keep an
eye on that for now.  Once it gets level and up to 110 MPH it starts to cool
down.  Everything worked!!!  I am using an EIS for engine monitoring.  It is
performing
perfectly and does about everything you could ask without being unduly
expensive.  The Airmaster prop is smooth and takes care of RPM.  Just set what
you want to do(like climb) and it stays right there at 5400.  Have not feathered
it yet in the air but that also is automatic.  I plan to tackle the glider
wings later this year but for now will enjoy zipping around with short wings.
Incidentally, I am 6'4" and 200#.  Made no modification to the seating but
do have a lumbar support with Temperfoam cushions and slump back like in a
glider.
I wear Bose Model 2 headset and do not hit the overhead.
Ken Carpenter  A123     N9XS