Re: Roll over protection & cabriolete

Subject: Re: Roll over protection & cabriolete
From: Miles McCallum <milesm@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 08:16:33
> I'm quite interested in this suggestion of "roll over protection" in the
> Europa. Does it actually exist or is it a myth ?

---From what I've seen of crashed Europas, There isn't any real rollover
protection - if you invert the aeroplane, the chances are that the
windshield breaks and the "roof" collapses at the front.

I plan to lay up several layers of carbon uni in the windshield post,
extending the plies down towards the seat front. A wedge of foam will then
be bonded into the corner formed by the post, and another couple of layers
of CF uni (followed by one of bid to contain the uni if it shatters) laid up
to finish it. I also have the advantage that I have a CF center post in the
windshield (it's for the BRS front harness) that effectively makes a tripod
rollover hoop.

Another thing worthy of consideration is the lip on the instrument panel -
by its nature, very stiff and unyielding, and quite capable of inflicting
serious injury (as it has done to several people) if you hit it in a crash -
particularly if the seatbelt attachment fails. It does have to be said that
in one particular case, the fact that the occupants survived is pretty
astonishing (if it had been a Cessna, they wouldn't have) but I am
considering cutting it off and replacing it with a flexible glareshield.

Miles