Re: Lifting the 914 Engine

Subject: Re: Lifting the 914 Engine
From: Larry Graves <larry@aircraftersllc.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 00:03:14
customers, Lincoln Ragle responds:

There are 2 bolt holes in the top of the crank case, just to the rear of the
gear box, which I have been using to lift my Rotax 914 engine. They are
fairly close to the center of gravity of the engine. I have been using 1
inch wide nylon webbing about 1 to 1 1/2 ft. long with the ends tied
together with a square knot. With the webbing now in double thickness I melt
a hole through it big enough for an 8 mm bolt. Use two 9mm bolts and wide
area washers to attach the webbing to the bolt holes on the engine and lift
---From there. CAUTION....if you have a vaccum pump or prop govenor attached to
the accessory pad on the rear of the gear box they might get in the way of
the web strap during lifting. Instead of webbing you probably could use a
chain.

-- Lincoln

Best Regards,

Larry Graves
AirCrafters Builder Education & Assistance
140 Aviation Way, Watsonville, CA 95076
Tel: 831-722-9141 Fax: 831-722-9142
www.AirCraftersLLC.com