Rear-mount alternator - was: Cowl Mods

Subject: Rear-mount alternator - was: Cowl Mods
From: Peter Zutrauen <peterz@zutrasoft.com>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 21:59:33
Re: the alternator, what about the 35amp Honda Alternator mounted on the
rear of the engine by Jim Nelson (as mentioned in the July 2000 US office
newsletter supplement)? Is that the same one that is on Steve D's great
website http://homepage.mac.com/sdunsmuir/Sun-N-Fun/Sun-N-Fun.html ?
I'd imagine that direct-drive off the crank would likely spin it into the
useful current range. Sounds like a great idea, as long as the coupling
damps out the crank harmonics to avoid inducing any weird crank failure
modes.

Has anyone heard how Jim's installation is working out? Does anyone know of
any others who rear-mounted an alternator?

I would think that rear-mounting would solve much of the cowling issues, as
well as improve the CG.... no?

Cheers,
Pete
A239