Separate Flaps (was Re: : Mono wheel vs. Tri-Gear

Subject: Separate Flaps (was Re: : Mono wheel vs. Tri-Gear
From: Mark Burton <markb@ordern.com>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 09:45:44

I recall some years ago a 912 powered Europa mono (G-SSGS) being
converted to have its flaps separately controlled from the
undercarriage. Martin Stoner carried out the test flying and (from
memory) I believe his opinion was that the ability to vary the flap
setting made very little difference to the performance/handling. If
Martin reads this, perhaps he would care to comment.

Personally, I believe a VP prop is essential to obtain a maximum
performance take off. After all, you wouldn't try to pull away from
stationary in a car using 3rd gear would you?

Mark

----