Re: : Mono wheel vs. Tri-Gear debate

Subject: Re: : Mono wheel vs. Tri-Gear debate
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 23:06:00
 <002101c1f78a$64a3f9e0$6401a8c0@sympatico.ca>
 <004101c1f92b$54ba73e0$171c073e@theparkins>

>             However, if Hot-and-heavy is a serious threat to the Europa, I
>suggest that rather than build separate flaps, (a) find the runway which
>permits takeoff and acceleration to cruise climb, (b) lighten the load, (c)
>build a Banbi, or (d) wait till it cools.
>cheers, Ferg A064

Hot n Heavy is a serious threat to any aircraft , when operated close to
the limits of that aircraft.

I do not believe that separate flaps would make any worthwhile difference
to the mono Eurpopa because of the strong influence of ground effect. There
is no significant induced drag in ground effect, right? The extra lift
reduces rolling resistance.

If shove comes to push, raise the flaps slightly to aid acceleration to
cruise climb speed, flaps will stay put even without a hand on the lever.

Graham