Re: RC Allen Gyro

Subject: Re: RC Allen Gyro
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 12:30:00

> I have also problems with my RC Allen gyro. It unflag but do not mantain the
> horizont position properlly. It looks like that it lacks "power". What is a
> C or D cell?
>
> Thanks
> Javier Barahona
> Classic 187
>
> > Hi, Erich --
>
> > Not to despair just yet, as I haven't exercised mine as often as
> > desired, but both work as sweet as you please.  A 12V lead-acid batt
> > may not ever unflag them, so I add a C or D cell in series to kick it
> > up to around 13.8V.  Need to exercise the gimbal bearings, not just
> > run the motor.

Ooops...sorry...it's a 1.5V battery, as for a flashlight.

Do you have a way to accurately check volts while she's running?  But
for airworthiness reasons, I'll guess that it should work adequately
(including if not spinning quite fast enough to unflag it), even at
11-something volts; mine does.  Else not much that one can do, except
gently exercise it in bank, to note any improvement, until one runs
out of patience.  That would suggest the bearings are sluggish.

Good luck,
Fred F.