Flying: Ireland & the continent

Subject: Flying: Ireland & the continent
From: Alan D Stewart <alan.stewart@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 09:27:31

Thanks Alan (& Kevin),

This is very useful information.

Anyone who wishes to go abroad needs to know who to contact, and what
the pre-requisite documentation
requirements are. (particularly in France!!!).

I especially like the on-line flight plan which I will copy for future
use. It's such a counter-intuitive
form, anyway. With pull down options, the on-line version reduces the
likelihood of embarassment and of
having to admit that you don't have the vaguest idea of what numbers and
abreviations belong in which columns !

On the more general issue of flying to the continent, I believe the PFA
still supply some general information
covering such flights:

flight plans, ATSU tel. nos. etc.
of French ATC.

All worth knowing.

Documentation filing requirements for flights to France
*****************

When I fly to France, I despatch two specific documents:

        1/ 'SuperFax' an outbound and return (if known) flight plan to
Heathrow ATSU.
        2/ 'SuperFax' a General Aviation report to Ipswich, Customs and
Excise, stating departure AND return info.

* Superfax is Windows/Word compatible faxing software which avoids the
necessity of paper copies.

After take-off, I activate the outbound flight plan on the R/T via
London Information (124.6).

General customs' rules regarding flights to France
*******************

My understanding of current customs regulations is that:

Since the UK (perhaps justifiably) didn't sign some recent pan-European
agreement regarding free passage between EC
member states:

All flights to France(/Europe) must land firstly at a recognised customs
airfield.
All flights from France(/Europe) must depart lastly from a recognised
customs airfield.

The first/last UK destination/departure point must either be a
recognised customs airfield,
or an airfield/airstrip designated as satisfactory from the point of
view of Customs & Excise.

.... I'm a little vague on these rules, particularly the last one.

Perhaps someone could correct me, if I'm in error ?

Alan