cockups

Subject: cockups
From: Richard Iddon <riddon@btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 07:33:39
Hi Folks,

The site's been kind of quiet for a day or two so I thought I would share a
couple of minor cockups I have made to give you a chuckle.

1) Before I started building and got my manual, being somewhat enthusiastic
about my new project, I was equipping my workshop with everthing from the
list in the sales blurb from Europa.  It must have been a list copied from
earlier days 'cos it advised me to obtain two lengths of 1/4 in. threaded
bar.  Unfortunately, I misread this as two 6 foot lengths and spent about
two months trying to source these.  I did eventually find them and proudly
stored them away, waiting for the day when I would find out where they were
to be used.  I have now just completed the fitting of my cockpit module
mounted bellcrank assemblies which needed two 6 inch lengths to line them
up,  which of course are now supplied with the kit!!  Any one got a use for
12 foot of 1/4 inch threaded bar?

2). I was recently fitting the tube into the housing for the fuel tank
breather.  This involves filling the space around with Redux. I tried
dribbling it in carefully but it was not running in so well.  I thought that
warming it up a bit might make the Redux more runny and it would then settle
down into the bottom of the socket in the housing better.  I got out my heat
gun and it seemed to be working.  So I gave it a bit more heat to speed it
up a bit more.  Everything went well for a few seconds then the redux
started boiling up like a witches cauldron, spitting and spluttering all
over the place.  I had to rip the tube out quickly and clean out the fitting
which was quite difficult as the redux was setting instantly solid and the
fitting was red hot!!  The moral,  don't overcook your sticky stuff.

Oh happy days.

Richard Iddon