Re: Rotax 914-avgas or Mogas

Subject: Re: Rotax 914-avgas or Mogas
From: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 10:08:00
Jim,
I have roamed the site that you left as a link on your last message but to no
avail. could you please point me at the area regarding Mogas. I wish to pass
this info on to a mate who has just flown his a/c for the first time, Mal Mc
Lure, Sydney Australia VH-KIT. Any help would be appreciated.
Reg
Tony Renshaw
>KarkelB;
>
>I have the 914 and have accumulated almost 400 hr. on the engine.
>
>Rotax recommends that unleaded auto gas of at least 92 octane be used in the
>914
>if possible, however if 100LL is used, oil changes must be at 25 hr. intervals
>instead of the 50 hr. interval with the auto fuel. Their reason is that on the
>25 hr. cycle the oil will remove some of the lead that accumulates.
>
>For the first 150 hours we were using 100LL  Plugs were fouling at about 50 to
>60 hr. with lead.  At about 100-125 hours we started to have problems  with
>hard
>starting,  rough running, etc. I took the a/c to Lockwood Aviation which is a
>Rotax service center in Sebring Fl. The gear box was taken apart and they
>cleaned the lead  off the clutches, took both carbs off and cleaned the lead
>out
>of the jets. installed new plugs. After that, the engine ran great and I'm
>happy
>to say that in 250 hours running of auto fuel we have had no further problems.
>
>If we are on a  cross country where we have to use 100LL we are using TCP at
>the
>rate of 1 ounce per 10 gal of fuel. This keeps the lead from accumulating in
>the
>engine.
>
>If you will go to Rotax web site at (  www.rotax-owner.com/index.htm )you can
>access their service documents for the 912 and also the 914. There is a
service
>document for the 914 which goes into detail of which oil you should use if
>running auto fuel, and also if you are running 100LL
>
>Jim Brown
>N398JB
>

>KarkelB@aol.com wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>              just been reading the march issue of todays pilot magazine.
>> There is an article about fuels that just confused me. Read through a
>> paragraph that says mogas is unsuitable for turbocharged engines. Previously
>> i had read that avgas damages the valve seats on rotax engines. Now whats
the
>> truth? I think i'll be calling austria tommorrow. Anyone with  long term
>> experince on either fuels with the rotax engine?
>>
>>      regards Karim.

Reg
Tony Renshaw
Builder No.236