Taildragger conversion

Subject: Taildragger conversion
From: Miles McCallum <milesm@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 08:40:15
I have finally started building my prototype taildragger conversion (the
stress engineer has now given me enough info to get on with it) metal bits
are made, awaiting the appearance of the welder.

The final design is fairly different from that I first envisaged. Legs etc,
are standard tri-gear mains. Only special bits are a pair of leg sockets and
a steel compression tube (3/4") bolted between the two through the tunnel -
everything else if off the shelf.. Webs are made from Airex (same stuff as
in the pre-molded parts) and a small amount of ply. Layups are a mixture of
BID and carbon Uni, and there is a 2" X 3mm carbon strap between the legs
buried in the fuselage skin. Weight change from a monowheel is expected to
be negligable.

At some stage, I'll be offering plans, and if demand warrants it, might even
do (finished) parts. The fuselage moulding is all over the place (different
widths, different shape) where the legs exit, so the two sockets are
slightly different - a compromise had to be reached at the top end to allow
the wheels to sit in the correct place: It may be possible to produce
acceptable "off the shelf " leg sockets, (the alternative being fabricate to
fit) But I won't know until I try - a jig is being taken off the first set.

Is there anyone out there - preferably with a flying aeroplane - prepared to
be a guinea pig? email me off -group (now there's a test...) and I'll expand
further.

Miles