Re: Flying the Mono

Subject: Re: Flying the Mono
From: Patrick Farrell <Patrick@farrell.flyer.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 23:21:17
I have just finished my conversion onto the monowheel Europa. Why is it
every mono pilot has such a delighted grin on his face after every sortie?
After all of ten hours on type I have been giving it some thought.

 I flew over three hours on day one dual and solo and cannot remember
when I had so much fun. The Europa is incredibly sensitive in the air - it
feels as if you think of doing something and the aircraft does it for you.
It is so alive! Yet it is stable when left alone. The result of having had
an expert designer.

The combination of monowheel layout and the unusually wide speed range
required very powerful flight controls to ensure adequate control at speeds
as low as 35 kts. Even at 40 kts the controls, especially tailplane, must be
handled gently. On a hard runway so must the rudder inputs. There is plenty
of control available. And that makes the aircraft just as much fun taxiing
on the ground, taking off and landing as in the air.

The opportunity to broaden one's experience and skills is a definite plus
for the mono. It may not be for everybody. It does require the learning of
new skills, but it is not difficult and as I said, what fun! Lots of
nineteen year olds flew the WWII fighters, the mono Europa is a lot easier.

Now I have to get on and finish my own aircraft.

Patrick Farrell