Back to LEDs

Subject: Back to LEDs
From: Roger Anderson <Randerson@skewstacks.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 11:34:04
    In G-BXTD I have used 'Panel Mounting 12V LEDs with plastic Bezels' as
supplied
by Maplins - order code UF83E Red -price 99p and UF84F Green - price 1.25p.
Dimensions are 30.5 mm long, front face 8.5 mm diameter, mounting hole required
7 mm diameter. Forward current approx. 15mA at 12V. They are small, neat
but clearly visible in all light conditions. No resistors required.
    I have a green one for the undercarriage lock warning light and for the fuel
pump warning light. I have a red one for the alternator warning light. This
shows only when the engine is off or at slow tick over. I also have a voltmeter.
I am happy with this level of instrumentation - it may fall a long way short
or airline standards but it is considerably more sophisticated than that in
the flexwing microlight, to which I also entrust my life, and it is cheap and
very light.
    Roger A.