Mono overcenter landing gear position

Subject: Mono overcenter landing gear position
From: clevelee@cswebmail.com
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 10:29:26
Collective wisdom,

I'm Looking for some input on the verfication of the over-center position on the
mono.

As I look at the completed installation (which took me far longer than I ever
thought
it would for a bunch of bolted together parts), I'm concerned about the
possible build up of tolerances that may not result in a true over-center locked
down position.

There are assumptions that the landing gear weldment is perfect, the depth and
positions of gear swing arm bearings is perfect and so too are other machined
hole locations.

As I try and visually line up the three pivot points, I find it difficult due to
the large diameter of the retraction arm pivot, creating difficulty in
determining
exact center. What I'm coming up with visually is that if it is over center,
it is not by much.

Has this ever been an issue?  Has anyone ever folded a gear when the lever was
down and locked?  We are not asked/told to verify position after assembley.  Any
collective (or factory) widsom on this issue?

Thanks,
Cleve Lee
A198 Mono XS
Detroit, MO