connectorisation.

Subject: connectorisation.
From: Tony Krzyzewski <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 11:53:26
 It solders up nicely and the insulation
> doesn't run back when you heat up the copper core.

You can solder the 4AWG wire if you follow the instructions on Bob Nuckolls
site (which is now up again... www.aeroelectric.com but you should be crimping
all of the smaller gauge wires with a decent crimping system like AMP PIDG.

Incidentally, if you subsitute 16mm welding wire for the 4AWG wire you'll find

it a much easier beast to work with. Telflon coated MIL aircraft wire is a pig

to bend whereas the welding wire is much more flexible. The welding wire also
happens to fit 16mm cables ends (strange that!) which may be easier to locate
in metricised countries than the 4AWG connectors. Another factor is that 4AWG
aviation wire costs serious dollars whereas enough 16mm welding wire to do two

aircraft cost me USD5 from a local welding shop. The 16mm welding wire is
flexible enough to use for the engine ground return wire and is a lot easier to

terminate than the braid that most people use.

> > I plan to use screened cable for most of the connections to the rear,
> with the earth in the screen.

No go on that one. Seperate earth wires will be required for isolation purposes.

> > battery, regulator and earth
> > magneto cables
> > firewall forward connections (sensors, CS prop, tacho)
> > rear compartment connections
> > audio panel connections
> > antenna connections

Don't put intermediate connectors in the antenna wires and only bring things
through connectors that actually have to have connectors. If things can be
linked together on the firewall without a connector then make the connections
there.

>> ANR power supply.

I am powering my ANR off the aircraft electical supply. I used a 12v regulator

followed by a 12v/12v DC isolator followed by a 9v regulator. This gives me a
very clean and isolated power source for the ANR circuitry.

Tony