Coax for power.....

Subject: Coax for power.....
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 17:31:22
Cheers,
            The use of coaxial cable (centre wire surrounded by woven
shielding) is a bit of a no-no. As mentioned, the dialectric in between  has
a low melting point. As well, vibration and/or sharp corners will cause
"migration" of the centre conductor. Over time, the reduced distance under
power will accelerate any heating and the reduction and heating accelerate
to destruction.
            In addition, the cable is difficult to parse out for fusing or
attachment without disturbing the design distance between conductors which
is basically to maintain impedance in RF circuits, such as aerial cabling.
The power-handling capabilities of coaxial cable should be examined very
carefully and large safety margins designed in.
            Like my predecessor, may I suggest straight cable wiring and
save the coax for small signal circuits?
Happy landings
Ferg
diesel Europa A064