Wet hangars

Subject: Wet hangars
From: Nobody <foo@bar.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 22:07:23
Hi all.

I'll toss in a problem now which is not in any way related to the Europa, but
which
is of great concern to us here in the high north. It has to do with quite
heavy condensation inside a set of new hangars - to which many have different
ways to solve. The problems are especially high these days with this damp
just-above-zero
WX.

I came up with an idea to day that it really is a matter of temperature - not
the
humidity itself. In other words, a question of heat. I remember some years
ago a sailplane owner who managed to keep his trailer dry all through the
winter,
by simply putting a 60 watt electric bulb inside! In that way he kept the
temperature a fraction above what was on the outside, and voila: a dry interior.

For a hangar, housing 7 or 8 aeroplanes the heat source would have to be much
greater
of course, but when taking into account that all we are talking about is
one or two degrees difference between out- and inside, I don't think it would
have to be substantial. It has to be mentioned that the hangars are made of
a metal framework, covered with a tarpauline.

Are there any out there - high up, or in the north - who have experience on
this,
and to how big a heat source would have to be?? Your suggestions would be highly
appreciated!

Cheers to all,
Hans.