Re: Media attacks on GA

Subject: Re: Media attacks on GA
From: Steve Pitt <steven.pitt@btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 02:39:53
As a Brit on holiday in Florida, (I was in Tampa today) I agree with Terry
that the media in the US is in a frenzy over the 15 year old crashing into a
Tampa high rise.
The good news is that AOPA and other Aviation experts are talking sensibly
about overreaction and this being a one off incident. In the words of a
local newspaper 'only 15 out of 221k planes were stolen in the USA in 2001'
however 'twice that many cars are stolen every week in Orlando alone'.
However, the politicians are jumping on the band wagon (Jeb Bush is on the
TV as I write this) and they demand votes from a frightened populace.
The 15 year old was supposed to preflight the Cessna before a lesson but he
jumped in, took off without radio contact, the authorities did alert the Air
Force (he overflew a major base close to Tampa, but they did not consider
him to be a threat) and he was intercepted by a Coast Guard helicopter and
still hit the skyscraper. He was said to be 'quiet by nature'  and wanted to
be a military pilot because of Sept
11th.
My own experience is that flying is free and easy but very well controlled
in the US. There are so many airports and planes around and yet no one has
commented about  the gun lobby and the threat to the populace.
Happy New Year to all in Europa land
Steve Pitt #403