Bonding the Fuselage Module

Subject: Bonding the Fuselage Module
From: Nick Hammond <nick.hammond@saabsystems.com.au>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 09:39:43
All,

For those getting to this stage, a brief endorsement of an idea gleaned from
the mail archive at http://www.geocities.com/asarangan/europa_forum.html.

Instead of using the weight of the module plus clecoes and weights as
suggested by the book, I followed  an idea originally posted by John Bean in
August 98 (copy of his message below). I used four cargo straps around the
fuselage and over temporary wooden "strongbacks" located at the front of the
tunnel, the front of the seats, the headrests and the rear of the bagge bay
tunnel. These plus a few (less than 20) hex-drive self drilling/tapping
screws (the sort used for sheet metal construction) were more than enough to
pull the joints together with no distortion of the fuselage. The screws came
out very easily with a battery operated nut-driver leaving grease-free holes
ready to fill with flox.

If you are still reading the forum, thanks John!

Best regards,

Nick Hammond
XS Monowheel 418

----