Rotax SB912-032UL

Subject: Rotax SB912-032UL
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 11:29:37
I suspect the majority of Europa owners aren't affected by this SB though
unfortunately
I am.

My oil pump assembly was replaced 4 years ago for the larger 16mm pump rotor.
What
I am uncertain of is whether my replacement was one of the solid shaft versions
or the hollow version (which needs to be replaced). On checking the bulletin
I note that my replacement shaft bears the same part number as that replacement
part specified in the bulletin. Is it possible the two different drive
shafts would have the same part number.

Please note I havent removed the shaft and checked it but simply referred to the
original service report (issued when the work was carried out). Is there any
way of knowing whether I need to replace the shaft without dismantling the
engine?

For those who have not received details of the Service Bulletin I enclose the
relevant
passages along with the Rotax Owners web details (in case you are affected).
The serial numbers of the engines affected is specified and the SB needs
to be actioned by February 2002 at the latest.

SB-912-032UL** -
   REPLACEMENT OF OIL PUMP ASSY. OR OIL PUMP SHAFT ASSY. ON ROTAX ENGINE TYPE
912
UL  (SERIES)

As discussed in Rotax Service Information SI-20-94 (Revision 3), certain
installations
and/or conditions could create shortcomings in the engine lubrication
system, which may lead to a pulsating oil supply and a shock-loading of the oil
pump (dowel sleeve) drive pin causing fracture and ultimately loss of oil
pressure.

Depending on the engine serial number and oil pump configuration, the necessary
fix outside of compliance to SI-20-94 (Revision 3) is to either replace the
entire
oil pump assembly or the oil pump drive shaft assembly on affected engines.

Service Bulletins 912-032 and 912-032UL do not affect engines already modified
at repair/overhaul and equipped with the newer solid oil pump drive pin.
Engines
with the newer 16mm rotor style pump and hollow drive pin are affected. Engines
showing factory amendment no. 32-07 or factory amendment no. 36-09 are not
affected.

IMPORTANT! - IT IS POSSIBLE TO HAVE THE NEWER VERSION 16mm ROTOR OIL PUMP WITH
A HOLLOW DRIVE PIN.  ANY ENGINE EQUIPPED WITH A HOLLOW DRIVE PIN (regardless of
oil pump style) IS AFFECTED BY THESE SERVICE BULLETINS.

All affected group "A" engines were originally shipped from the factory with a
13mm rotor oil pump installed.   It is possible some of the affected group "A"
engines have been converted to the newer 16mm rotor oil pump during the course
of compliance with the TBO increase inspections outlined in SB-912-005 or
SI-27-1994.
Where an engine has not been converted to the newer 16mm rotor oil
pump, SB-912-032 or SB-912-032UL mandate the change from the old 13mm rotor pump
to the new 16mm rotor pump. It is possible that some group "A" series engines
have not yet complied with these Service Bulletins.

These new service documents may be downloaded from www.rotax-owner.com

http://www.rotax-owner.com/SI_TB_INFO/returndoc.asp?PATHhttp://www.rotax-owner.com/si_tb_info/serviceb/sb-912-032.pdf&USERIDSIMPPAGE&DOCIDSB-912-032&S_TYPEEM

http://www.rotax-owner.com/SI_TB_INFO/returndoc.asp?PATHhttp://www.rotax-owner.com/si_tb_info/serviceb/sb-912-032ul.pdf&USERIDSIMPPAGE&DOCIDSB-912-032UL&S_TYPEEM