Re: fuel tank seal

Subject: Re: fuel tank seal
From: Terry Seaver <terrys@cisco.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 10:05:37
DJA727@aol.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am installing the fuel tank outlet lines and was wondering if anyone had a
> good suggestion for sealing between the rubber hose and the white fuel tank
> material.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Dave Anderson

We had fuel smell in the cockpit for some
time after first putting fuel in the tank.
We used fluorescent dye in the fuel to try
to find the leaks, and eventually taped
cotton balls at all fuel connections. After
a few days, we checked the cotton balls
for the dye stain. The tank outlet connections
were the culprits. They are difficult to
seal well, the clamps need to be very tight.

We also had problems with fuel smell at
the tank filler hose. This turned out to be
a problem with our upholstery installation.
We used 'Pro-Seal Fuel Tank Sealant'
to seal the white filler neck to the fuselage
side (we have a photo to prove it!).
After 70 hours  of flight, we finally peeled
back the upholstery in that area and
found that the sealant had been
dissolved by the contact cement
sprayed on it by the upholstery shop.